Monday, November 7, 2011

2011 Midway Awards

I did this last year on my Facebook page but I will post it on my blog this year. Here we go....




2011 Washington Redskins Midway Awards
Offensive MVP: I actually had to put  my other winners down first and then come back to this. Then left it blank again to proof the rest of my post, now this is the third time I'm looking at this. I say that to say, I really can't find an MVP on offense, because there isn't any offense. So I'll have to go with the one player that if he went down it would be a gaping hole in the offense. I came up with two guys... Fred Davis and Will Montgomery. You can see my comments about Fred in a post below for the Most Improved. But we all saw what life without Will at center is like the past two weeks. We also saw what a difference he made last year when Rabach went down and he subbed in. He makes such a difference on the offensive line in terms of calling the right blocking schemes that if you move him to another position and put someone else in at center, you will know Will isn't there. Thanks, guys... keep doing what you're doing.

Defensive MVP: The Entire Defensive Line and OLBs. Even after rookie Jarvis Jenkins went down, Adam Carriker has stepped in and played like an animal. They've created so much havoc, these guys alone have brought the defensive ranking of this team from worst to top 10. Just work on stopping the run a little better to keep teams from stretching the field so much. Aside from that, outstanding job.



Special Teams MVP: Sav Rocca. This dude has an unbelievable combination of a big foot and precision that just makes other special teams angry. I have lost count of the amount of times he has pinned teams inside their own red zone (or 10 yard line, for that matter). Not to mention, he covers kicks well. A few times, we've seen his rugby skills come out and he dishes out some great tackles. Two thumbs up, homie!!






Most Improved: Fred Davis. This dude went from being as heavy as most tight ends to trimming down back to a wideout's size and it has helped him tremendously. Particularly with his speed. He has become a huge offensive threat because it's so hard for a LB to keep up with a guy that fast and big. It's a mismatch every time. Great job, Fred... keep it up!





Unsung Hero: Anthony Armstrong. I haven't paid attention much until lately, this dude plays special teams pretty well! If you pay attention, it's just not Lorenzo Alexander out there making crazy tackles on kick coverages, but Ant has made some key tackles (and blocks for that matter) that have made the difference in field position for the Skins and other teams they cover. The quiet, hard working guy from Carrollton, TX is still making a big impact, even when he's not going for a 64 yard catch. Fantastic job, sir.


Rookie Standout: Ryan Kerrigan. I swear this dude isn't really a rookie, he doesn't play like one. I demand a copy of his birth certificate. He's not a 23 year old kid fresh outta school. He's been here a while, I just know it. Great job, dude. Keep it up. You've already got my vote for the defensive rookie of the year (and the pro-bowl for that matter).







Best Coach: Haslett. (You didn't think I was gonna say Mike or Kyle, did you???) They could do a better job containing the run and tackling, but for the most part, they have kept this team in the game. It's a shame the offense can't buy a point majority of the time though. Thank you sir, keep making those guys better.






Dunce Hat Award: Kyle Shanahan. Dude has a great playbook, but just can't figure out how to morph his plays to the strengths of his personnel (or managing the clock with his play calls... 3rd and 2 you should run the ball, dummy... especially when Hightower was running all over the place on those guys). I kinda think that's done on purpose so his daddy will know who to cut. Seems like he's the real one running the team if you ask me. First runner up for this award was Rex Grossman for his comments about his interceptions after the Philly game. Particularly for having his "whatever" attitude/comments after throwing the picks (did he really expect to keep his job after that? I'd bench him too). Again, he would have been tied with Kyle for this award, but Kyle put him out there soooo... he got an extra vote for his decision making.


Follow Me On Twitter: @NFLHustleBabe

No comments:

Post a Comment